Turkey - 23 May 2013 @ Istanbul

As I was advised to join a tour while visiting Turkey due to the political instability in the Middle East, I was reluctantly signed up with a guided tour. Prior to this, I had only joined a guided tour once and had a very bad experience with its operator. As such, I could hardly trust anyone planning for my holidays.

When I received the itinerary from the tour operator, I was flabbergasted that most of the key attractions in Istanbul are optional activities. I felt ripped off and very upset. Nevertheless, I was quick to dismiss all the angers within me as I didn't want to ruin my holidays. Afterall, a tour company is in the business of  making money.

Hence, I have done some research on the opening times to those key attractions prior to my arrival in Istanbul as I wanted to see as much as possible during my visit thinking that I won't be going back again anyway.

After 3 hours flight from London, I finally touched down at Ataturk International airport at 11.40pm the night before and by the time I reached the Best Town Palace Hotel, it was almost 1.30am. I was exhausted due to lack of sleeps while in London and also having to cope with different time zone as Istanbul is 2 hours ahead of London. However, I managed to wake up early and getting ready to explore this amazing city. 
It was such a beautiful day in Istanbul. As I made my way to the Topkapi Palace, there were so many tourists queueing at the ticketing counter and it was not even 9am yet. Without wasting another minute, I quickly joined the queue.
After I got in the Topkapi Palace, I headed to the Faith Pavilion where it houses all the treasury collections. Some of the most impressive collections such as Topkapi Dagger, Spoonmaker's Diamond, emerald pendant and so on could be found in here. However, no photos are allowed.
Another highlight of the my visit to the Topkapi Palace was the Harem where the apartments facing the sea were reserved for the sultan, his mother, favourite concubines, and the future heirs to the throne.


Topkapi Palace




Monument in the Garden of Topkapi Palace








Views of Golden Horn Bridge



Distance views on Galata Tower at modern side of Istanbul

















The Harem





















Konyali Restaurant is a Turkish-Ottomon restaurant. While the food was great, but I would think it's definitely overpriced due the fact that its situated inside the Topkapi Palace.

Kebab - Konyali at Konyali Restuarant


The Blue Mosque is the most significant landmark that dominates the skyline of Istanbul. Although the queue to get into the Blue Mosque looked exceptionally long, it didn't take long to get in though. One has to cover the head and shoulder with scarf and took off the shoes prior to entering the mosque.

Blue Mosque

Blue Mosque


Another major landmark in Istanbul is Hagia Sophia and its located just right next to the Blue Mosque. Hagia Sophia was formerly a church and it was turned into a mosque under Sultan Melmet II in 1453. Hagia Sophia was later converted from a mosque into a museum by Ataturk in 1935 after major restoration.


Hagia Sophia




Hagia Sophia





Hagia Sophia


Hagia Sophia


Mosaics Panel



The Mihrab

After covering three major key attractions in Istanbul, it was time to head back to the hotel as I had a group meeting with the tour guide and other fellow travellers at 6pm. When I learnt that our guide is only 24 years old and that was his fourth tour with us, my heart sank. I was thinking you couldn't expect too much from a young lad with limited experience, could you? Right there and then I wished I didn't join the tour. However, I only realised later on that one should never ever judge a book by its cover.
Once the meeting was over, we headed to Kasap Osman Restaurant for dinner. In fact, it more for an ice-breaking session, ie. getting to know other fellow travellers and the guide.



Lamb Kebab




No comments:

Post a Comment